Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bringing Back the Turkey

I feel like Thanksgiving gets neglected in the pantheon of holidays (probably because it's hard to commercialize.)  Strolling through Target yesterday, I saw clearance Halloween items adjacent to Christmas decorations with nary a nod to Thanksgiving in sight.  It seems like the day after Halloween begins a candy fueled mad dash towards Christmas.  And really, thanksgiving is such a marvelous concept.  Pausing to give thanks for all the wonderful things we have to be grateful for, celebrating the good things in our life, yummy food and family..what could be better?

I've considered this in past years, but then have to admit to getting caught up in the making of Christmas gifts and the excitement of christmas specials on TV and making Christmas lists with my children.  I'd like this year to be different.  I plan to start a few new traditions with my family specifically for giving thanks.

  • I plan to do some baking and craft making with my girls for the folks in the nursing home we visit.  Just some random surprise gifts to brighten their day.
  • I am also going to make turkeys with the girls, one for each family member,  and have them write something they are thankful for on each of the turkey's tail feathers.
  • I will send thank you cards to the people who make my life better, drop little unexpected treats off with them, or call them and let them know just how much they mean.
  • Here on the blog, I will do a few Thanksgiving themed Home Ec posts.  (A great stuffing recipe comes to mind!) and perhaps an etiquette post on how to properly write a thank you note..or maybe a tutorial on making your own thank you cards.
So, those are my thoughts..what are yours?  How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

Hugs and Smooches,
D

1 comment:

  1. Those are lovely ideas! Really looking forward to your Thanksgiving posts. I don't do much other than spend time with family - which is the most important. This will be my first year not spending it with my family, off to the in-laws instead!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I read every one of them and they make my day :) Please do not post as anonymous (sadly, I have had issues with spammers lately :( Have a beautiful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...