A few weeks ago at a yard sale, I purchased a giant bag of dominos. I had no clue what I was going to do with them, to be honest. I just like the texture and the sound they make when they clack together ;)
Then, a few days later when I was modge-podging some items onto a little suitcase for my daughter, it struck me that they would be perfect for making jewelry featuring a little piece of art. I did some searches through etsy's supplies and discovered that there are lots of beautiful images for use!
I haven't done a whole lot in the past with jewelry making (beyond a brief stint as an apprentice to a silversmith when I was 14). In fact, it's something I just started trying my hand at a few months ago.
It's been a couple of weeks since I was first struck by the idea. I am now in possession of a tiny drill, jewlers hammer and anvil, several different kinds of pliers and wire cutters and millions of beads and images. The more I create, the more I love it. I've even decided to purchase a soldering iron this weekend and start creating and adding some metal elements to the steampunk line I'm designing!
Here are a few items from the first line - "Sirene" - inspired by my love of the sea.
These items (and a few others in this series) will be listed for sale this weekend, buuuuttt, I will also be running a giveaway on my facebook page once I reach 400 followers with one of the pieces from the line! (Only 13 more followers to go, so share with your friends!)
Some of the other lines that are in the design stage:
- Snow White - This line will feature vintage Snow White images with red accent beads (I found some that remind me of shiny little apples :)
- Steam Punk - Octopus, Victorian images, Clock faces, Gears and I will be trying a little metal work with this line..
- "Zelda" - This line will feature black and white pictures of film actresses from the 1920's and I purchased vintage black wooden dominos to feature them on.
- Pin up - Gil Elvgren Pin ups made into playful brooches and bracelets
- Secret Garden - This line features gorgeous watercolor-style prints of different flora with delicate matching crystal beads and little drop beads shaped like tiny flowers.
Hugs and Smooches,