Monday, September 5, 2011

Style it - You CAN wear a hat!

I LOVE hats.  They cover up a bad hair day, frame your face, add a little "something extra" to an outfit and keep your head toasty on a cold day.  A lot of people I've chatted with like the idea of a hat, but think that they can't pull it off, that it doesn't look good on them, or that they aren't a "hat person".  I think everyone can be a hat person, you just need to find the one that speaks to you!  Here are a few hats that have been in the shop and suggestions on how to wear them.

The Leopard Print Bucket - I think this hat would pair nicely with a simple tailored pea coat.  Something that doesn't detract from the hat itself.  The brim is great if you have a fuller face (like I do!) and are looking for something to make it look slimmer.

The Cloche - This hat is a summer weight hat and would be best suited to a pretty floaty sundress or a romantic lacey top with jeans.  It looks ADORABLE on gals with shorter hair (I mourn my bob everytime I come across a cloche!  I have very thick hair and when it's longer it doesn't tend to fit properly with this style of hat, as they are meant to fit close to the head.)


Headband and Pillbox hats - These are great if, like me, you have a larger head or very thick hair because they either stretch to fit (the headband hat) or sit on top and attach with an elastic that hides under the hair or little combs stitched into the hat.  Headband hats come in tons of styles and can be cute with a dress or to add a little visual interest with your winter coat.  Pillbox hats are also cute with a vintage suit or coat.



There are many other styles that I will cover in a later post.  There's the toque, the beret, the fedora, there are fascinators and tilt hats.  Hats to suit everyone's taste!  As you can see, my tastes run towards the older pre-1960's style hats, but there are some fun hats in later years as well (the floppy brimmed 70's style hat comes to mind..)

I will leave you with a few pictures of me in some of my favorite hats for ideas on how to style them.  Feel free to leave any questions you may have in the comments!

A really neat 60's red velvet hat




50's/60's Cream colored Pillbox

A gorgeous 40's/50's beaded beret
A Red Fur Felt Beret circa 1960
(I've also noticed a whole lotta fur in these photos.  I tend to wear hats more often in the winter because I never keep them on in the summer unless I'm gardening!)

Hugs and Smooches,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I read every one of them and they make my day :) Please do not post as anonymous (sadly, I have had issues with spammers lately :( Have a beautiful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...