- Marilyn was born Norma Jean Mortenson, though her mother, Gladys, immediately changed her last name to "Baker", the surname of her first husband.
- During WWII Monroe worked in a munitions factory, spraying airplane parts with fire retardant and inspecting parachutes. It was there she was discovered by a photographer who was taking "morale pictures" for the troops and he suggested Marilyn try modelling.
- In 1950, Monroe had a small bump of cartilage removed from her nose to "soften her appearance".
- Marilyn appeared in the first issue of Playboy magazine in 1953
- Marilyn's role in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was originally intended for Betty Grable.
- Marilyn married 3 times. Her second husband, Joe DiMaggio, asked her to remarry him in 1962, as he was concerned for her health and well-being. After Marilyn passed, Joe claimed her, arranged her funeral and left a half dozen red roses at her crypt 3 times a week for 20 years.
- "I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt ...it was because of her that I played the Mocambo, a very popular nightclub in the '50s. She personally called the owner of the club, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him — and it was true, due to Marilyn's superstar status — that the press would go wild. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman — a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald
|Some Like it Hot|
|Seven Year Itch|
|Gentlemen Prefer Blondes|
|My Story - Marilyn Monroe|
Hugs and Smooches, D