Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review - AUSTENtatious Crochet

It's no secret that I love the vintage fashion of the 40's and 50's, but my first love was Jane Austen and the Regency period.  I went through a phase in my teens where I curled my hair in ringlets and wore romantic floral/lacey dresses that I imagined were a nod to Elizabeth Bennett. 
 
You can imagine my delight, then, when I stumbled across this book on my last trip to Barnes and Noble.
 


AUSTENtatious Crochet is a really neat book filled with Regency inspired crochet patterns interpreted with a modern sensibility.  It has just enough romance to make it pretty, but still wearable.  The patterns are clear and well written and there's something for just about everyone!

I tried out the Queen Victoria's Scarf Pattern pictured below, but I used shades of peachy rose and grey instead of the greys and blues pictured here.



It worked up quickly, felted beautifully and only took me a few hours!  Here's my interpretation:


..and here I am wearing it with my favorite rose colored shades and a cashmere headband I created to match!



I have my eye on a few additonal patterns that should be fun to work on during those chilly January evenings.  I love the Elizabeth Bennett Skirt pictured below (maybe in brown and cream):



And I'd love to do these regency pillows in wine, cream and gold for my bedroom!


I wish you all a wonderful start to the New Year, I can't wait to share what I have in store for the blog with you all!

Hugs and Smooches,
D

6 comments:

  1. What fun - I *love* the skirt! And I still can't wait to see those headbands in your shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!!!!!! I love all of these! the patterns look challenging...I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now I need to learn how to crochet! Your scarf is lovely. Please make some more items from this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! Annabelle, the scarf would be a great starting point for a crochet beginner ;) I would also recommend "Happy Hookers" by Debbie Stoller as a learning tool. As someone who both knits and crochets, I have to say that as much as I love the look of a knitted piece, crochet works up SO much faster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness that skirt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous scarf...can't wait to see what you have in store for 2012!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I read every one of them and they make my day :) Please do not post as anonymous (sadly, I have had issues with spammers lately :( Have a beautiful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...