Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Little Sunday Reading

I love Sunday. It's usually the quietest day of the week for me, and after a morning visit to my grandfolk, I typically spend a good chunk of the afternoon reading. My library is vast, ecclectic and growing all the time (much to The Man's chagrin) so in an effort to justify some of my ever expanding collection, I've decided that Sunday will also be a good day to share a review of my latest read with all of you.

Today's book is Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By by Lesley Bloom. You can find it here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Bring-Back-Encyclopedia-Forgotten-Yet-Delightful/dp/0811874133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291561542&sr=8-1

 



I am LOVING this book for several reasons. First, the format. I adore a good encyclopedia. As a child, I spent a good part of my summers in the library of the school where my Mom worked. While my brothers ran around the building, I hid in a cozy corner and made friends with Anne of Green Gables, Jo March, Bilbo Baggins and the BFG. One day, I decided I would attempt to learn EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD, and so I began with the first volume of the Encyclopedia Brittanica..and made my way to somewhere in the "m's" before school started again and I forgot all about my quest for knowledge.  However, my love of varied subject matter in bite sized chunks presented alphabetically has remained.

Then, there's the subject matter. This book covers everything from Astaire, Fred to Zeppelins. Some of my favorites:
- The word "Corny"
- Saddle Shoes (My cousin had a pair that I secretly coveted..)
- Figgy Pudding WITH recipe (which I have always wondered about..)
- Perfume Atomizers (so glamorous!)
- Roman and Greek Gods (another topic of interest during my bouts of summer reading)

Reading this book is an excellent reminder of all the wonderful things that have been a part of our history. I highly recommend it to anyone who misses putting on their "Sunday best" or advocates for the return of the word "Swell" in place of "That's hot".

XO,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I read every one of them and they make my day :) Please do not post as anonymous (sadly, I have had issues with spammers lately :( Have a beautiful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...